light gazing, ışığa bakmak

Monday, December 15, 2014

Ayrılık Çeşmesi

"After Göztepe, Ünalan and Acıbadem stations, I switched trains at Ayrılık Çeşmesi, which is the historic “Separation Fountain.” It is the place where Ottoman armies would conduct their last training and camp at the İbrahimağa pasture before they set out on a campaign. It was also the sendoff point for the hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca. It is a farewell place for any occasion. If a civil servant is appointed to Anatolia, his family, neighbors, friends would come and see him off from this place.
My late mother said it was where sweethearts were sent off to their military services. I wonder if my mother sent off her fiancé (my father) to his military service here. Also I wonder if my grandmother said farewell here to my grandfather going on the hajj, actually seeing him for the last time because he died there, orphaning my toddler mother and baby uncle. I will never know."

daqui, the phantom of the bosphorus.
afinal estive tão perto. sempre pensei que este ponto fosse a imponente haydarpasa.


No comments:

 
Share