light gazing, ışığa bakmak

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

cromo (4)

immigrate, decision, choice

"... with varying degrees of urgency they asked me to explain what on earth possessed me to want to leave their free and wealthy country to return home, to a poor and unfree country, where they'd probably lock me up or send me to Siberia. I tried to be equally pleasant. I conjured up some kind of patriotism, some kind of mission, until I hit on a convincing explanation. I said that back home people knew me. Even if I had to sweep up garbage in the street I would be for them what I was, what I wanted to be to the exclusion of anything else, a writer, whereas here, even if I could drive around in my little Ford, I would always be just one of those immigrants on whom a great country had taken pity. These were my boastful words. In reality I wanted to return home, to the place where there were people I was fond of, where I was able to speak fluently, to listen to my native language.
Now I knew that if i was a street-sweeper I would, for the majority of the people, be simply a person who swept the streets, a person hardly noticed."

Ivan Klíma
in Love and Garbage

No comments:

 
Share