light gazing, ışığa bakmak

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

addiction: eyes

Eyes
Czeslaw Milosz

Operator: That's how it is. I allowed you, for a moment, to see the bloom of the nasturtium with the eyes of a butterfly. I allowed you to look at a meadow with the eyes of a salamander. Then I gave you the eyes of various people, so that you could look with them at the same city.

- I admit that I was too sure of myself. I admit that there is little similarity between what those streets meant to me and what they were for others walking the same sidewalks I did. If only I were convinced that that was all there was to it - a huge number of individual, uncoordinated perceptions and images. But I have been searching for one, humanly seen, common-to-us-all truth about things, and that's why what you have shown me is such a trial and such a temptation.

in A Roadside Dog

No comments:

 
Share