light gazing, ışığa bakmak

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

'Depicts one million plastic cups, the number used on airline flights in the US every six hours.'

Chris Jordan, Plastic Cups, 2008 60x90"





"There are two emotional approaches we can have to the horrors of the world: one of them is they’re just an image. That’s just an image, it’s all it is, it’s an image projected on your retina for your passive consumption. And after you consume that image, you can go on to consume the next image. We see a lot of that in our television programming, it frightens me a lot: with the tone of voice, the way the images are cut, the way they’re photographed… it’s exactly the same from an image of war and then an advertisement for a plastic beverage, a plastic bottle of beverage. Like, we go from image to image to image and nothing registers in here, and that’s one way that we can be. When we witness something, we can simply stand back and not care about it. But my own personal experience of going and standing over these birds on Midway Island is that I find that I do care. And it’s a shocking experience for me because I never thought I’d care about some birds out on a really far away island."

No comments:

 
Share