light gazing, ışığa bakmak

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

sometimes

'Sometimes' is an astounding chapter that made me go back to the pale Updikes of daily life. between boredom and desire, death and birth, being thankful and oblivious, such is the difference between a new but now old country and an ancient but renewed one. lives are lived so differently, I many times wonder whether we have any choice.

"Sometimes there'd be a power outage and we could see our cigarette embers in the dark."
Pamuk in The Museum of Innocence.


--
most impressive is the fact that the Keskin's living room remind me of my own living room, my own family dinners as a child, the same way we would sit watching tv, the same way we would welcome a special treat, how we would listen to thunder. Pamuk recognizes that not only has he become the voice of his country, but also the voice of a generation worlwide, both of which he doesn't want.


No comments:

 
Share