light gazing, ışığa bakmak

Tuesday, July 8, 2003

Pelecanos’ Washington DC

I started reading George Pelecanos’s Right as Rain. I had no idea about this writer, had just been looking for an easy read, and since I’ll be visiting Washington in August (can’t wait!), I got this Pelecanos book.

W
hen I don’t like a book, I have to drop it. I once forced myself to read a whole book that I did not enjoy just because I thought I should because it was such a good author. I t turned out to be a painful experience, the book was great but I was not able to enjoy it. It was The Spire by William Golding.

Pelecanos’ characters are real and alive and you can see them as clearly as if they were having a latte across the counter from you. Strange moves around DC as well as Lucas Davenport grips Minneapolis. I will definitely follow Stranger around the city for as long as possible.

Strange stood out on the sidewalk for a moment and glanced up at the yellow sign over the door: "Strange Investigations," the letters in half of both words enlarged inside the magnifying-glass illustration drawn across the lightbox. He loved that logo. It always made him feel something close to good when he looked up at that sign and saw his name.

No comments:

 
Share